Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN)NOT AVAILABLE YET

Agency: Uganda Revenue Authority Period: 1-10 Days Cost: No charge


The Tax-Payer Identification Number (TIN) is used by tax payers when it comes to paying for taxes like government taxes, import and export taxes, Value Added Taxes (VAT), Company taxes, operational taxes, and many more.

It is mandatory for tax payers to have a Tax Identification Number from Uganda Revenue Authority.

The TIN application can be done using the Uganda Revenue Authority portal.

  • What is the purpose of the procedure?

    1. Everyone who is employed or involved in any type of income producing activity where income tax, VAT or other taxes are due must have a TIN.

    2.It helps anyone involved in the registration/transfer of a motor vehicle or land.

    3. It is a requirement for every form, notice, return or other document either from a taxpayer or from the Commissioner General to have a TIN.

    4. Investors are encouraged to apply for the TIN concurrently though it it an optional requirement for obtaining an investment license.

  • What is the result of the procedure?

    A unique Tax Identification Number for an individual or company.

  • What you need to know/have before you start?

    You will need a computer with an internet connection, Ms Excel Office program installed on your computer, a working email address, a printer and a referee (a person who has an active TIN)

    For Individual TIN:
    1) Passport, Employees Id, voter’s card, national Id, work permit, visas, Driving permit
    2) Email address
    3) Mothers name
    4) Phone contacts
    5) Referee who has TIN

    For Non-Individual:
    1) Company form 7, Certificate in corporation (from URSB)
    2) Contact person
    3) Company email address, phone number
    4) Bank account details
    5) Company  director’s TIN

  • How to pay and how long will it take?

    URA provides Taxpayer Identification Numbers in accordance with the Domestic Tax Departmental Performance Standards at no cost. But if one decides to use a third party, one should pay the tax agent.