There are three basic types of companies registered in Uganda (Secs. 4 & 5)
- Private Limited Liability Companies (Limited by shares or by guarantee). It includes a single member company. It has 1-100 members.
- Public Companies (Open to public subscription). It has membership of 7 to infinite
- Foreign Companies (Incorporated outside Uganda and establishing office in Uganda
- What is the purpose of the procedure?
To formalize businesses through allowing them to operate with unique names
- What is the result of the procedure?
A document (Certificate of registration) for a business name is issued with a unique name and number.
- What you need to know/have before you start?
For Sole Proprietorship simply follow procedures 1 to 4 above.
For Partnership, obtain a partnership deed (from your lawyer) then register the deed and pay stamp duty
- How to pay and how long will it take?
Payment assessments are done using the URA portal of fees charged. Once the payment assessment has been done, a choice of payment method is made (bank, mobile payment) and a Payment Registration Number (PRN) issued.
Payment is then made against the PRN using the method and bank of choice.