Investment License

Agency: Uganda Investment Authority Period: 1 - 2 Days Cost: Free of charge

How to set up investment in Uganda

There are (3) three steps to follow

  • Register your company with the Uganda Registration Services Bureau. You will get a certified copy of your Memorandum and Articles of Association, and a Certificate of Incorporation.
  • Get your Investment License from Uganda Investment Authority or visit Uganda Investment Authority Offices at Twed Plaza, Plot 22 Lumumba Avenue Kampala.
  • Secure necessary secondary licenses: Certain sectors require other licenses (i.e Mining, Health Services, Air Transport, Banking etc) Uganda Investment Authority can assist you in securing these licenses within reasonable time.

By law, all foreign investors need to obtain an Investment License from Uganda Investment Authority (UIA). However, according to the current investment Code, domestic investors are not obliged. One can apply for an Investment License Online from  Uganda Investment Authority

  • What is the purpose of the procedure?

    A licensed investor gets access to business support and advocacy services including:

    business linkages, joint ventures, participation in outward and inward missions which expose his/her business, aftercare services in relation to specific business challenges.

  • What is the result of the procedure?

    The investor will receive a document (Investment License) with a unique number and name of the project that has been licensed.

  • What you need to know/have before you start?

    Foreign Investors require a minimum of US $ 100,000 for their investment project to qualify for an Investment License.
    For Local Investors the minimum requirement is US $ 50,000.

    • A Certificate of Incorporation and Articles & Memorandum of Association from Uganda Registration Services Bureau (URSB);
    • A brief Business Proposal on the project (Not less than 5 pages);
    • Evidence of availability of funds for the project, which could be a Bank statement for the company/Directors;
    • Proof of land ownership or tenancy  (land title or a tenancy agreement to confirm location of the project).
    • Photocopy of Passport of Foreign Shareholders

    Other additional supporting documents

    • Bill of lading to confirm importation of machinery (exceptional cases )
    • Copy of the secondary License issued by the relevant Government Ministry/Department or Agency
    • Environmental Impact Assessment Report/Certificate of Approval by National Environment Management Authority (NEMA)

    Applications in the following businesses will require to secure a secondary license before applying for an investment license: energy generation, mining, banking and air transport.

  • How to pay and how long will it take?

    The Investment Licenses in Uganda are free of charge.